As I work on my grande coffee, I've been feeling more and more hyper. Also more anxious, as I keep exploring different career options once I'm set to leave the cabin. But I need to remind myself how exciting this time in my life is, and I don't want to waste these moments feeling anxious. I have plenty of money saved up and my parents are supportive. They've even invited me to move back in with them if I'm having trouble finding a job. So there's no reason I can't find a job I love, given all these tools I have.
I have sent out resumes to 6 great organizations: Environment America, Earth Day, USPIRG, Worksafe, Food and Society Fellows, and the Cascade Land Conservancy. I've already had an interview with Environment America, and I know it went well. I'll keep doing research on other environmentalist organizations to see about landing a job if these don't work out.
I've also started exersizing, more out of necessity than choice. If I want to leave the cabin, I need to bike to town. So I've been biking at least 10 miles a day. Yesterday I biked over 30 miles. I've also started meditating 15 minutes a day.
From now on I have three daily goals: meditate for 15 minutes a day right after waking up. My cell phone is already set for two alarms--one for waking up, the next for the end of my meditation session. The other goal is to bike to Adel every day after breakfast to check my email and read the news. My final goal is to write for 30 minutes while in Adel, whether that's a blog entry, journaling, a poem, whatever.
This will at least keep me busy for the next week and and two days.
I'm starting to seriously put my life in order. Pay off those loans with a career in environmentalist activism. Save up for WWOOFing abroad. Spend a few years in eco-villages around the United States. Get a PhD in American History. Land a professorship at the University of Iowa. Live in Iowa City.
Sounds fantastic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment