I spent a few hours today happily researching all the places I could go. an ecovillage in virginia, organic farms in denmark/argentina/nepal.
and then it hit me. student loans. a quick search of loan forgiveness programs looked quite unappealing.
I can't travel. I have student loans to pay.
I can't do what I want to do. Student loans are on the horizon.
So, I've come to admit this one dreadful fact--I need a real job.
Fortunately, I just completed an interview with Environment America a week ago, and I think it went well. They will even provide some loan assistance. So I hope to be paying back my loans at about $300/month. At that rate, I should be out of debt by the time I'm...30.
But I will also be saving lots and lots of dinero for traveling. I'm ushering in a new era of thrift. Gotta start buying my own coffee, since it's obvious that I cannot kick this habit without allowing my mental faculties to suffer. Gotta prepare my own meals. Brown bag it to work. Use my bike as often as possible. Mainly, I splurge on eating out, so I just need to reign that in. I want as much of my income as possible to go towards a traveling fund.
My list of must-do:
1. Kathmandu to Istanbul
2. Circling the Mediterranean (begin in Morocco, end up in Spain)
3. Going home: Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic
I don't plan on traveling fast--I'd like to spend equal parts backpacking, WWOOFing, and couch surfing.
In the meantime, I'll be politically active--work for Environment America (or something similar), pay off these fecking student loans, save, and dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment