Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In transit, still

I'm at my parents house. My goal: reduce worldly possessions to one (1) box of memorabilia and one (1) backpack. This is hopefully going to be simple--I have the memorabilia box full, and now I just need to pack for Acorn. Once I'm done packing, I'll send the rest to Salvation Army. Still, I know there's going to be a few roadblocks, in particular my beloved teapot and coffeemaker. Then there's the shoe situation, posters, souvenirs... maybe I need a third box of stuff I plan to use if I ever settle down.

Ok, so a backpack and two boxes of worldly possessions. Everything else I can't part with, I bequeath to my parents. They have already unknowingly inherited my food stash and several boxes of books.

I found a website of super-teeny houses. One may even call them one room cabins. It would look great nestled in the woods somewhere. As soon as I have enough money saved up to buy land, the house plans, and the equipment needed to build the house, I'm planting myself somewhere near a lake in northern minnesota. Where I can hear loons calling and watch the northern lights.

Being at my parents house is oddly exhilarating. Usually I dread it, because I spend long stretches of time vegging out and feeling lonely. But after the commune experience I think my expectations have adjusted. The teenage angst from high school has evaporated, and all the clutter in the house has disappeared. These two things were apparently the only issues holding me back from bliss.

I think I'll have myself a sauna tonight. Tomorrow I send the rest of my clutter to Sally A. And buy a plane ticket to Virginny.

About the cabin in the woods. Will I feel lonely? Thing is, I feel lonely even when I'm in a room full of people. In fact, I feel even more lonely, like I've misplaced my soul. Solitude is preferable. As long as I have high speed internet of course. And this all hinges on having an income, which is also a bother. Minnesota's growing season isn't that great, so I'm not sure if I can grow all the food I need myself.

Baby steps. First I'll go to Acorn and embark on my goal towards self-sustainability. The rest will follow--this is definitely something I can figure out.

No comments: