I can never resist the annual lure of resolutions. The routine is ingrained, the same as my routine disobedience of them a few months down the line. Nevertheless, here’s to 2009:
1. Continue buying nothing new. This went fairly well last year—it’s pretty easy to do, considering how well stocked Salvation Army tends to be when it comes to the basic items I occasionally need. A few days ago I walked to the one near Coe, armed with a wish list of items, more than half of which were fulfilled (my best find was four armless pleather swivel chairs for the kitchen table: $25 for the set). The rest were crossed off by my roommate, who has scavenging skills that rival my own. This resolution has had the side effect, I think, of getting more interested in the food I eat, since it’s the only thing new that I allow an exception for—I am not, nor have I ever been, a dumpster-diving freegan.
2. Switch to a vegan diet. Yes, I will get plenty of protein. No, I won’t get osteoporosis (there’s actually more absorbable calcium in dark leafy vegetables than there is in milk). No, I won’t get anemia. There’s some great books out there, written by real nutritionists, that lay out compelling evidence regarding the wondrous nutrition in vegetables. North Americans typically dislike vegetables, and I blame the industrialized food system that has tried to convince us tomatoes will taste as good in December as they do in August (and even if we do buy them in August, that driving the tomatoes thousands of miles to our grocery store inflicts negligible damage to their quality). If I’m sufficiently motivated, I’ll put up some recipes that were successful. I’m also going to try a new grain and a new vegetable each month, if not twice a month.
3. Cardio! I’m definitely getting déjà vu on this one. Persistence is key. Today I tried out the elliptical machine—2.9 miles later, I feel like a new woman. The gym bathrooms also have a small sauna, which was used to great effect after the run. The whole experience was…fun. Especially since (I truly am the daughter of my mother) I bought a retro bowling bag (from Salvation Army!) for my exercise gear. It’s aqua with white piping and looks absolutely adorable.
The apartment has gradually been improving, at the same rate as my scavenging skills. There was a particularly good haul last night from Murray Hall’s 9th floor lobby. It is now possible to illuminate the living room exclusively from Christmas lights—tastefully, of course. The heat from the apartment beneath us heats our own apartment, meaning we don’t even have to use up energy using our own heater. This brings joy to my granola crunching heart.
For my final semester as an undergrad, I decided to challenge myself. My first art class in 5 years, first science class in 3, first music class in 4, two upper-level classes for my major, and an 8 a.m. class. Wheee. For notepaper, I’m using sheets that had been printed on one side rescued from recycling bins around campus (I’m using yellow paper for the 8 a.m. class in an effort to keep me alert).
And the coup de grace: I have a foam pad! Another find from 9th floor, something I’ve pined after since the last one disappeared over winter break two years ago. Sleeping at Coe has never been so easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment